jueves, 19 de marzo de 2020

MODALS VERBS




MODALS VERBS OF OBLIGATIONS


We can use have to + infinitivemust + infinitive and should + infinitive to express obligation (something you have to do).
PresentPositiveNegative
have to /
don't have to
strong obligation (possibly from outside)
  • Children have to go to school.
(sometimes 'have got to')
no obligation
  • I don't have to work on Sundays.

  • You don't have to eat anything you don't like.
must / mustn'tstrong obligation (possibly based on the speaker's opinion)
  • I must study today.
negative obligation
  • You mustn't smoke here.
should / shouldn'tmild obligation or advice
  • You should save some money.
mild negative obligation or advice
  • You shouldn't smoke so much.
Be careful about the difference between mustn't and don't have to!
Mustn't means it's not allowed, or it's a bad idea:
  • You mustn't eat so much chocolate, you'll be sick
Don't have to means you don't need to do something, but it's fine if you want to do it:
  • I don't have to get up early at the weekend(of course, if I want to get up early, that's fine, but I can stay in bed if I want).
PastPositiveNegative
had to / didn't have toobligation in the past
  • I had to wear a school uniform when I was a child.
no obligation in the past
  • We didn't have to go to school on Saturdays.
must*changes to 'had to'-
should have + pp / shouldn't have + ppa past action which didn't happen: the advice / regret is too late
  • You should have gone to bed earlier, now you have missed the train.
a past action which didn't happen: the advice / regret is too late
  • You shouldn't have taken that job., it was a bad idea.

* Remember 'must have done' is a modal verb of deduction or speculation, not obligation in the past. For example: Julie must have left. Her coat's not here. See modals of probabilty for more information.








LET´S PRACTICE




READING AND PRACTICE 

The deadline 

Maggie: Hi Tom, have you finished your homework? 
Tom: Oh hi Maggie. No, I haven’t. 
Maggie: The deadline is tomorrow you know so you have to submit it tomorrow. 
Tom: I can’t make it. I haven’t even started it yet. Can we hand it in next week? 
Maggie: I don’t know. You’ll have to ask Mrs. Robinson about that. I think you must finish it by tomorrow. She probably won’t accept projects after tomorrow. 
Tom: I’ve had so many other things to do. I couldn’t even start it. I don’t know what to do. Maggie: Don’t worry. I’ll help you. It’s not very difficult. I finished it in one day. 
Tom: Really? Great! 
Maggie: First, you should read the article that Mrs. Robinson gave us. It’s about the Mohican Civilization. Then, you have to design a poster for a play about them – the Mohicans – for the theatre.
 Tom: Yeah I know but it looks a bit difficult…  
Maggie: Not at all. You don’t have to make the poster from scratch and it doesn’t have to be a work of art. There are lots of templates on the internet. You can just use one of those designs to make your own poster. 
Tom: Well, I think I can do it. What title shall I use? Can you help me? 
Maggie: Yeah, I can give you some suggestions but you mustn’t use the same title as anyone else in our class. You have to create your own title.
 Tom: Okay, I can come up with something I guess.
 Maggie: Alright? 
Tom: Yeah, I’ve got to go now and make a start on it. I’ll follow the project guidelines like you said. Thanks, Maggie. 
Maggie: No problem. Good luck! 
ACTIVITY PRACTICE
Decide if the statements are true or false according to the text.
 1. Maggie has completed her project. ______ 
2. Tom has submitted his project.______ 
3. Tom must ask Mrs. Robinson if he can hand in the project after the deadline. ______
 4. The poster must look great when it’s finished. _____ 
5. Tom must design the entire poster by himself. ______ 
6. Maggie can’t help Tom with the poster in any way.______

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario