lunes, 23 de marzo de 2020

TAG QUESTIONS



TAG QUESTIONS

NINTH GRADE

SECOND WORKSHOP


Tag questions is a special construcction in English. It is a statement followed by a mini question.We use tag questions to ask for confirmation.They mean something like: "Is that right? "or" Do you agree?" They are very common in English.

THE BASIC STRUCTURE OF A TAG QUESTIONS



Positive statementNegative tag
Snow is white,isn't it?
Negative statementPositive tag
You don't like me,do you?

EXAMPLES


1.  You are coming , / aren't you?
2. We have finished, / haven't we?
3.You do like coffee, / don't you?
4.They will help, / won't they?
5. We must go, / musn't we?


NEGATIVE STATEMENT TAG QUESTIONS

Look at these examples with negative statements . Notice that the negative verb in the original  statement is changed to positive in the tag. example:

1. It isn't raining, / is it?
2. We have never seen that, / have we?
3. They won't report us,  / will they?
4. You aren't English, / are you?
5. Jhon wasn't there, was he?


Here are some more examples, with correct answers:
  • The moon goes round the earth, doesn't it? Yes, it does.
  • The earth is bigger than the moon, isn't it? Yes.
  • The earth is bigger than the sun, isn't it? No, it isn't!
  • Asian people don't like rice, do they? Yes, they do!
  • Elephants live in Europe, don't they? No, they don't!
  • Men don't have babies, do they? No.
  • The English alphabet doesn't have 40 letters, does it? No, it doesn't.
ESPECIAL CASES

Negative adverbs

The adverbs neverrarelyseldomhardlybarely and scarcely have a negative sense. Even though they may be in a positive statement, the feeling of the statement is negative. We treat statements with these words like negative statements, so the question tag is normally positive. Look at these examples:
positive statement
treated as negative statement
positive tag
He never came again,did he?
She can rarely come these days,can she?
You hardly ever came late,did you?
barely know you,do I?
You would scarcely expect her to know that,would you?


WORKSHOP: (TALLER)
Read,practice and traslate.
Lee la conversación que ocurre en un show de televisión y luego en la parte inferior escoge la opción correcta para completar el ejercicio de Tag Questions:

Samantha: Good evening Javier. Welcome to our show.Javier: Thank you very much. I’m happy to be here.Samantha: I heard you are a celebrity in your country, 1. ________?Javier: Hahaha, yes. Well, I am a famous actor in Mexico and now I am working here in the U.S.A.Samantha: Your fans love you so much, 2. ________?Javier: Yes. They’re the best fans in the world. I’m very charming, aren’t I?Samantha: Yes, of course. You are very charming and good-looking. I believe your wife is Brazilian, 3. ________?Javier: Yes, she is. But she lived in Mexico for many years.Samantha: She didn’t come with you to Los Angeles, 4. ________?Javier: No, she didn’t. She is in Miami right now.Samantha: So, you speak Spanish, Portuguese and English perfectly, 5. ________?Javier: I’m still learning to speak English.Samantha: I found out you have worked in 10 soap operas in Latin America, 6. ________?Javier: Actually 20 since I started my career.Samantha: Awesome. And you had worked as a waiter before becoming an actor, 7. ________?Javier: It’s true.Samantha: I suppose you won’t go back to Mexico soon, 8. ________?Javier: No, I won’t. I want to stay here and act in American movies.Samantha: I have read about your private life and I know you can also dance very well, 9. ________?Javier: Yes, I can dance different Latin rhythms such as salsa, merengue, and bachata.Samantha: Great. Thank you for coming to our show. I hope to have you here again.Javier: See you next time. Goodbye.
LET'S WATCH THIS VIDEO






No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario